Friday, August 24, 2012

Halifax n the Citadel.



My full day in Halifax started with a walk to the right of the hostel, just because. Where I found a great little bakery / diner and a bike shop. I had 3 places I wanted to explore, the citadel, the marine museum and Peggy's cove. I doubted I'd get to Peggy's cove but the other 2 should be doable.

Well the citadel is amazing architectural accomplishment. It is so well fortified that no one ever attack it. If you were to attack you would need to climb this steep hill where they would should grenade like canon balls at you. If you made it to the rope there was a drop of 20 feet into the ditch. Where you would have more canons and archers tacking you on from all sides. Then you'd have to scale another 20 ft wall to enter the compound.  What I forgot to mention is that the hill is riddled with little tunnels designed to plant explosives in the hill and blow up the enemy as well.

Oh and the canons on the hill can take out ships in the harbour. In fact the entire harbour is protected by a network of batteries, martelos and block houses.

What intrigued me is that there are tunnels that ran from the citadel through downtown Halifax and to the warf. There is an island that has a military fort on it and the entire island is riddled with tunnels. There are stories that a tunnel runs from the island to the citadel under the ocean. It's possible as many of the tunnels in the island are below sea level.

Well I never got to the marine museum as I spent the entire afternoon wandering the citadel.

So minor change of plans I went back to the Keith's brewery and RFID the tour. Wow is what I have to say, it was an experience. It was the best beer tour I have ever been on and it surpasses any wine tour ad well as an experience. They have a old tavern that would be fantastic as a place for a wedding or other events.

I finished the night off by visiting the warf where I listened to some street performers then stopped in at the lower deck for a quieter evening of music.

Location : 20 MacMaster Rd, Port Hawkesbury, NS B9A 2A9,

No comments:

Post a Comment